Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Have you seen the bumper snicker...I'm not having hot flashes, I'm experiencing POWER SURGES!?

So I’ve been reading up on hot flashes…or more specifically, the eradication of them…without the weight inducing factor of hormones. Ever nearing 50, I’m sure you can figure out WHY I’d be suddenly interested.

I am a great source of amusement to those I live and socialize with. In Tucson, we learn to dress in layers…you have to be prepared for blasts of air conditioning co-existing with temps in the 100’s. Even today, October 1, it was 80 at 8:00 a.m. I’m bringing the term, dressing layers, to a whole new level!

Recently, I spent a week in Green Bay, WI visiting my enchanting first grandchild, Calianna Cadence Malcore. It was cooler, so I had heavy sweaters, light sweaters, long sleeved shirts…and tank tops. Any given 2 hour period of time included various additions or subtractions of each. Blankets even…and then, spaghetti strap tops a few moments later. This is a 24 hour thing.

I’ve learned that foundation makeup is a waste of time, waterproof mascara is a must, and ponytails are good enough for fashion nowadays.

According to WEB MD and other fun sites, I have to ride out the initial rollercoaster, or experiment with acupuncture (uh, don’t think so) or prescription drugs. (Um, I really don’t think so)

I’ve done the dietary changes over the past 5 years…doing pretty good with whole wheat, fiber, higher protein and low carbs. Trying the herb Black Cohash too, despite posts that its really just a placebo. (Having positive attitude here) Exercise I’m increasing, although I hate the compounded sweat on top of hot flash sweat. Oh well, its 40 minutes three times a week, throwing in a walk or two as it cools. (Still 100 degree days happening here)

So here’s hoping that the ride levels out as I get more into it. I pity my husband who endures my tossing and turning and blanket flipping and pillow fluffing….night after night after night. I even have my own personal fan running on my side of the bed! And heaven forbid if he wants to “cuddle”. I have heard him describe me as “clammy”. Romantic huh!

I am counting my blessings that I am not experiencing the characteristic mood swings or depression…that’s gotta be good right???

So feel free to warn me if you catch any mood swings. I’m trying to stay positive. Just keep out of the way of my tossed blankets, sweaters, socks and shoes….

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner