Thursday, October 9, 2008

Clearing the Air

Did you know this is National Pet Peeve Week? I excused myself during my morning break to take a walk today at work because I was strung out regarding a pet peeve. During my lunch break I did a little “surfing” on the pet peeve subject. This is what I found that made sense to me:

"The main reason I hate "so busy" is because it is used as an excuse - an excuse for not being a good friend, not being a nice person, not following through on promises, not completing jobs well, etc. For example, I know many women use this as a way to explain why they haven't called, texted or emailed other friends.
The other "so busy" type is the uber-mom. We all know her. She is living through her kids, and is often a really cool mom. I usually like her alot, and she is a good soul most of the time. But there is a darkness lurking within her - the overscheduling madness that seems to overtake certain moms. Her children are in ballet, in baseball, in piano lessons, in the band, cheerleading, taking drama and cooking and art and gymnastics. They are going camping four weekends this summer and the family will hike the Grand Canyon. The kids are taking horseback and golf lessons and French too. They are active in church, and in fact, they attend the children's program. And the youth. And VBS. And church camp.
This sweet mom, who does seem really busy, spends most summer hours driving around dropping kids off here and there. Her kids are whiny and gripey, and she is grumpy too - She really is busy - but is "so busy" an excuse you can use, when you put yourself there?
The ones who don't say they are "so busy" only really differ from the overscheduling mom in that they don't complain about the life they have chosen, and they don't use it to excuse them from basic social skills."

A recent poll indicates that office workers have plenty of gripes, and most of them are about the behavior of their co-workers.
Here’s just the top 3:
Gossip (60%)
Poor time management (including personal calls and non work-related web surfing) (54%)
General messiness in shared spaces, such as dirty dishes in the sink (45%)

So in honor of National Pet Peeve Week…are you venting, internalizing, or getting some good exercize???


Comment from S. Fox: Cara, My dad used to have a little saying on the wall above his desk. It read, "I'm not interested in the storms you endured, but did you bring in the ship?" This as of late has been my motto, and as you note about pet peeves the same thing goes for those people that don't have time for people.I don't know if you knew I have just returned from two weeks in Hungary. Every day someone had to give a thought for the day. This is one I keep on my list: "People who need people are the luckiest people in the world" Burt Bacharach. You would know the words and you can sing.

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner