Friday, April 10, 2009

Hopping Down the Bunny Trail!

Happy Easter!

I was "twittering" this morning and came across one of my favorite "tweeters" blog about Easter. It sent me spinning down the bunny trail, lost in memories of my children growing up.
I asked permission, and she said I could share it with you all: (If you have children or grandchildren, you'll love this! Here's the link: Easter Ideas!

Last night I began planning for our own Easter Extravaganza this weekend. Without LITTLE ones, it's not as much fun as years ago, although the family dinner aspect is always nice. :) I decided to pull out my roll of butcher paper and "decorate it" for a bunnyish tableau. My 14 year old daughter comes in and drolled, "What, being cheap again this year?" (the tact of teenagers)

I said, "No...I'm being creative this year...") After a painful conversation in which she negatively critiqued all of my ideas (more like AXED) she DID end up coloring construction paper eggs I'd cut out. She deigned to help after all. Sigh.

My three boys were easier - I swear they were. We always colored more eggs than we could eat, and I saved the plastic shells from year to year. I'd also spent the year saving change, which would accompany the candy inside. I usually purchased from whoever stocked the cheapest candy - the kids didn't care - it was CANDY, something not normally purchased.

We have made the coconut bunny cakes (round pan, cut in half, put on edge) and the egg cakes and decorated cookies through the years. It was always important to "make memories." When my sweet little two year old girl picked up her basket for egg hunting, it didn't take long for the (then late teens) boys to gather up their own and "help". (To my satisfaction, I have PHOTOS) When weather was horrid - so often in Wisconsin, the bunny got crafty and hid eggs inside with clues, or I once even borrowed the junior high gym! The most talked about Easter was the year they woke up to three different color yarn strings - mazed through the tri-level house, eventually leading to their baskets. What fun to watch them!

Way back when I started babysitting my Sunday School teacher's kids at age 12, I began a life history of "treasure" hunts. They were geared to the intelligence, attention span, and interests of my children and their friends for the next 37 years...and counting. The clues have been everything from trivia questions, to rhymes, songs, even simply "look for something blue". I bet anything that as my grandchildren grow, my sons will be composing treasure-hunt ditties.

Start a memory trail for YOUR children! When special occasions come around it's a wonderful indulgence to sit and sip a cup of coffee/tea, and remember the smiles, the groans, and most of all, the laughter of kids at holiday.

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner